Your smile is one of your most important features. It is among the first thing that people notice about you. Hence, it is not a surprise that people are willing to spend thousands of dollars on products relating to cosmetic dentistry or on professional fees for a central dentist Brighton has to offer. Enhancing the appearance of your teeth, and therefore your smile, is important to leave a good impression on your friends, family and colleagues. It is also linked to your personal confidence and the way you carry yourself in front of others.
If you want to get a smile makeover using OTC cosmetic dentistry products or with the help of a dental surgeon, it’s possible now. Technological advancements have enabled individuals seeking their best smile to make that dream a reality!
Cosmetic Dentistry: Art and Science
Dentistry is science. But when you use it for cosmetic enhancement, it becomes an art. Art is defined as making something out of your skill and imagination that can be appreciated for its beauty or ability to purge emotional response. In fact, cosmetic dentistry might be the best example of how art and science is melded together as one.
Most people’s thoughts about general dentistry is that this is a procedure done by a dental professional to improve function on your teeth and oral health. In fact, most of the earlier procedures done were designed to diagnose and cure diseases. This represents the medical and scientific side of dentistry. As the years go on, the view about teeth evolved such that it became highly linked with perceptions of beauty. Eventually, the views on dentistry evolved too. There is now a crossover between two major disciplines of science and art.
For example, the process of filling in gaps and spaces between the teeth are no longer done for functional purposes alone. Fixing this dental problem can also enhance the appearance of the teeth. For some people, dental fillings are purely aesthetic in purpose. However, dentists look at them as important in protecting oral health since bacteria and other forms of cavity can fill in those gaps causing the teeth and gums to get decayed over time. Therefore, a qualified central dentist Brighton has today will not just suggest that you undergo cosmetic dental treatments to fix the appearance of your teeth. They will also encourage you to go through these procedures to protect your teeth from damage!
DO’s and DON’Ts
Before you book an appointment from a central dentist Brighton has today, it is important to know what to expect. When you know the process, you will be better prepared for it and aid in achieving the best results. Unfortunately, due to the demand for services from a dental surgeon to enhance your teeth and smile, there are some dentists who lack proper certification looking to cash in on this demand.
Make sure you run through this checklist of do’s and don’ts before you undergo surgery or dental procedure of any kind:
- Set a realistic expectation. A dental surgeon will follow specific principles in creating the perfect design for your smile. However, they will adjust what principles to use based on the natural characteristics of your teeth. When you go into a dentist for a makeover, set your expectations realistically. The dentist is only working with what is available to them; unless you are willing to pay more, then you should not expect for your teeth to look like somebody else’s.
- Speak out about exactly what you want. In relation to the point raised above, you need to openly discuss with your dentist about what you want to achieve when you undergo a particular procedure. Do you want your teeth to be whiter? Do you want your teeth to be properly aligned? Do you want healthier gums? If possible, bring a photo to illustrate what you want to achieve from the procedure being done.
- Choose a dentist with the right specialization. Not all dentists are the same. A central dentist Brighton has might be capable of offering basic services such as cleaning, whitening, or tooth extraction. Meanwhile, another can perform dental implants, crowns, veneers, and even do surgery. It is your job to look for a dentist whose services can match your needs.
- Do not neglect care for your teeth. One of the things that most people are guilty of is to neglect care on their teeth once it has undergone dental procedure. However, the process is meant to encourage you to take a closer look at how you can improve your teeth’s health and condition. You should work on preserving your dental and oral health condition post-dental procedure.
- Do not forget to check if your dentist has insurance. This is a step that a lot of patients commonly overlook. But when looking for a dental surgeon, you have to make sure that they are insured. You want to be covered, in case of any malpractice or negative side effects from your procedure.
- Do not forget about recovery. When you undergo dental surgery, expect some swelling or bleeding in the area that could last for some time (the exact time frame varies according to the type of procedure undergone). Hence, ask your dentist about the expected recovery process so you can prepare for it ahead of time (especially if you have work and you need to rest).
With an understanding on what cosmetic dentistry can do for you, it is important to look at the different procedures you can choose from. It is important to shed light on what dental treatments are considered as cosmetic so you can choose according to what will address specific issues you have on your teeth (and gums). You can discuss these procedures with a central dentist Brighton has today so you can make the right investment for that smile you’ve always dreamed of.
In the subject of cosmetic dentistry, this one tops the list of treatments one can get. If you want to have that perfect smile, you need to keep your teeth looking bright and white like pearls! Yellowing and staining are common issues concerning dental health today, which makes achieving that dream smile more challenging. From drinking colored beverages to smoking, all of these factors add up in making your teeth look stained.
With many over-the-counter products in the market, teeth whitening has become accessible to most people. But if you choose to have your teeth whitening procedure done in a clinic by a central dentist Brighton has to offer, you could expect a more lasting result. Whereas OTC products can give you instant results, you will notice that the staining and yellowish appearance on your teeth would re-appear in a matter of days. But if you get your teeth whitening done by a dentist, you can expect the result to last longer, such as several weeks or months (if you avoid drinking colored beverages such as coffee or tea).
Dental veneer is a thin layer of porcelain that is bonded onto your tooth (or teeth) if you want to improve its color or shape. Porcelain is the most common type of material used for making veneers, which is why it is commonly referred to as porcelain veneer. It is also a great solution for those with stained teeth or have gaps in between their teeth.
This procedure might appear simple; but when the central dentist Brighton has is finished with the procedure, you will be in awe by the difference. It is interesting how the smallest changes can create such a huge impact on your smile. Dental veneer is also one of the least expensive types of cosmetic dentistry procedures around. Hence, there is no excuse not to get it done if you want your smile to look perfect.
Just like veneers, dental crowns also use porcelain as a material. There are several materials to choose from but this one is most recommended by dentists. A dental crown is what dentists would recommend for heavily damaged teeth. While crowns are notably known for fixing a broken tooth, or concealing any form of aesthetic flaw, this is one of those cosmetic dental treatments that enhance oral health too. For example, adding the crown can protect weak tooth or those that recently underwent dental filling. It acts as a protective layer for your teeth because the most important component to a beautiful smile is a healthy set of teeth.
Tooth Contouring and Reshaping
When you hear the word contouring, you often think of the makeup craze that celebrities had popularized. However, there is also a technique known as contouring used in dental practice. It is one of many cosmetic dental treatments that you can get when you visit the clinic of a central dentist Brighton has to offer.
When trying to enhance your smile, dentists also look at your tooth enamel. It not only directly impacts how your teeth looks but also your ability to bite into your food when you eat. While on the surface it seems like a purely cosmetic procedure, reshaping and contouring your tooth enamel can also improve your overall oral function.
With advancements in cosmetic dentistry, and with the help of the right central dentist Brighton has to offer, it is very much possible to achieve your dream smile. In your aim for that beautiful and perfect smile, do not get too caught up with the superficial beauty, though. You need to start with taking good care of your teeth and making sure they are healthy. What good will a beautiful set of teeth be when they are not healthy and prone to damage? These two should always go together in your quest to achieving that beautiful and healthy smile!
Stop living your life in the shadows trying to hide your smile from the world. Step out and show off your best smile with the right cosmetic dentistry procedure!